Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Tour de Timor

Despite never having ridden further than about 30km in one sitting before, I plan to enter the Tour de Timor. I'm starting from a pretty low base, but hey, if Tour de France people can ride 3,500km over 3 weeks, surely I can handle a measly 350km in one week.

My dad used to be a keen amateur triathlete and he recently told me that you're not a real cyclist until you can finish an 80km time trial in 2 hours (note: apparently, he was never a real cyclist). My relatively fast cruising speed on my mountain bike is about 30km/hr so (with knobbly tires and running shoes without clips), on the way back from my first training ride last week I decided to try to sprint the last kilometre or two at 40km/hr to see how I went.

I turned on the gas once I hit the port. I start sprinting... I check my speedo: 34.5. I push harder... 36.4. Push again... 38.0... 38.0... 38.4... 39.8... 40.0 and then my foot slipped off the pedal...

I decided to finish the rest of the ride at my normal cruising pace of 30km/hr...

I think I still have a ways to go...

1 comment:

Graham said...

What I said was a 40km time trial in one hour makes you a good bike rider - and I did get pretty close.
Good luck anyway!