Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Fail...

I went to get a haircut the other day. There are actually quite a few expat run joints in town but, as I have previously noted, I prefer to buy local so I decided to drive around until I found a place that was run by Timorese. My local in Jakarta was a place down the road from my house which had these beat up old barber chairs and charged Rp. 7000 (less than a dollar) so my goal for the day was to find an equivalent in Dili.

A likely contender was the place across the road from the Australian embassy. From the outside the building looks pretty run down, I figured there was no way it was run by an expat. I'd forgotten how to say hair, and I don't think I ever knew how to say cut in Tetum so I mumbled something in Indonesian and sat down. Turns out I was suckered by the old bait-and-switch and had my hair cut by a Filipino trannie instead of the Timorese barber I was after. It's surprising how long Tagalog can sound like Tetum when you're still a beginner... The Filipino English accent is unmistakable though...

Not only that, but it turns out koke hudi aren't called koke hudi at all but something else that I can't remember the name of... Kaka something? Anyway, I'd told a few people about my new discovery and they smiled politely and changed the subject. After two or three days they started to go soft and mouldy and I complained of this to my cleaner.

"Yeah, I know. I wondered why you bought them... We never eat those things..."

Oh well...

1 comment:

treespotter said...

LOL, so long as there's no foam out of your mouth :D