Sunday, September 24, 2006

Busy...

Well, I've been a little busy in the last few months in case you hadn't noticed the lack of action on this little corner of cyberspace.

In summary, in the last 7 weeks I have left my old job, interviewed for 3 jobs, picked one, had a trip to Vietnam, started the new job, moved apartments and bought a lap steel and mandolin.

My old company, a local investment bank, was very good, but you know, even with the great experience I was getting, there reaches a point where living hand-to-mouth stops making sense. I had learnt most of what I would learn and the law of diminishing returns had started to tap me on the shoulder. I was planning on going home to Australia, but I was fortunate enough to get two job offers when I announced that I was heading back to Australia; one with a rather large development organisation, and one with an Australian accounting firm.

The Australian company offered me a substantially better package, and probably a job when I return to Australia; but when I arrived here almost 2 years ago I really thought I wanted to do the development thing. So, I figured, if I'm ever going to do it, I might as well do it now. Also, even the lower salary is roughly 4.5 times my old salary, so there's not too much to worry about.

So, continuing on my streak of getting jobs I'm hopelessly unqualified for: apparently I'm an economomist for the next 6 months...

I started the old job as an intern with no job specific skills whatsoever, whereas I got this job based on experience so they're actually expecting me to know shit... Considering I'm only going to be here for 6 months or so, they sure as hell don't want to spend their time training me just to have me leave.

Sure, I speak pretty damn good Indonesian; I'm young, enthusiastic and can pick stuff up pretty quickly, but there comes a point in your life where peope stop cutting you slack for your age and expect some hard skills.

Well, here I go...

3 comments:

Harvard said...

Boo hoo. Some of us don't even have jobs... Sigh...

ohminous_t said...

boohoo, some of us don't have a bankroll from malaysia and fancy graphic designer shit, and an ipod for Jackie Chung music.
Shut up Harvard.

harvard said...

Now that you mention, Australia might not recognise my degree to qualify as a graphic designer, hence unable to apply for permanent residency. It's Jackie CHEUNG you ignorant white man, stop abusing me coz I'm yellow. Hi, John.